It’s the end of the year and time to do all those assessments about how your business is doing and what you hope to see happen next year. In your planning, don’t forget to review your business’s security. No matter what kind of business you run, there is something that somebody thinks is worth stealing: cash, merchandise, credit card records, bank receipts, equipment and employee information such as social security numbers.
The rules of securing your business begin as simply as the rules of securing your home:
- Is there a procedure to lock all doors and windows at the end of the day and are there deadbolt locks on the doors?
- Do you have a procedure that includes who will turn the alarm system on at the end of the day?
- Are all the heating, air conditioning and ventilation ducts at least 10 feet from the ground and covered to be inaccessible?
- Are ground-floor windows blocked by thorn bushes, cacti or other prickly plants to deter would-be burglars?
- Are the lights both inside and outside working and providing enough light?
Where business security tends to lead the trends is in additional security measures. In addition to a monitored system, for example, many businesses are incorporating:
- Keyless entry systems that keep track of who came and went and at what times. These also allow employees to enter some areas — such as the main office — but not have access to where sensitive documents or valuable equipment are kept.
- Video surveillance systems let you know whether the person who used the keyless entry was an authorized employee. You can even use your mobile device to see what the cameras are seeing.
- Mobile access lets you turn the alarm on and off from wherever you are and lets you keep control.
It’s a lot to think about. However, if you make it a practice to do a complete security survey annually, you’re much less likely to face costly losses or to deal with harm to your building or employees. And that makes it worth the time.
Discount Security Store is a security product distributor specializing in access control and CCTV products. We sell quality brands like HID proximity and iClass readers and access cards, Pelco, Sony, and Panasonic CCTV cameras, monitors, and video recorders to security dealers, hospitals, airports, government agencies, and businesses nationwide. We guarantee fast turnaround time, discounted pricing, and ... free UPS ground shipping on all orders!